WILSONTIMES.COM NEWS  •  SPORTS  •  LIFE  •  OPINION  •  OBITUARIES  •  PHOTOS  •  VIDEOS  •  CONTACT  •  CLASSIFIEDS  •  SPECIAL SECTIONS

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Cherries brighten up oatmeal cookies



I got several cookbooks for Christmas and can't wait to start cooking. I haven't had time to do any experimenting in recent weeks.

But I had to share something this week!

While looking for a different recipe in my files over the weekend, I came across this wonderful recipe for Cherry Oatmeal Cookies. My co-worker Billie Taylor made them originally and shared them at work. I knew right away they would be a hit with my husband, who loves dried cherries, and they were. They are much better than oatmeal raisin cookies, we think, because the cherries add such a nice, tart flavor.

I've made this cookie recipe several times, and it's very easy. It takes no time to mix them up and pop them in the oven.

I did make my cookies smaller than the recipe suggests, yielding around 30 cookies.


Cherry Oatmeal Cookies
  • 1/2 cup butter, slightly softened
  • 2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1/3 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
  • 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 3/4 cups rolled oats (old fashioned oats)
  • 1 package (5.5 ounces) dried cherries, coarsely chopped
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the butter until creamy, about 1 minute. Gradually add sugars and beat until well combined. With the mixer on low speed add the egg, egg yolk and vanilla. Mix thoroughly.

In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. With the mixer on low speed gradually add dry ingredients until just combined. Do not over mix. Stir in the oats and chopped dried cherries until incorporated.

Form dough into 11 2-inch balls and bake on an un-greased cookie sheet for 9-11 minutes or until bottoms are golden brown. Cool on cookie sheets for 2 minutes and then remove to a wire rack.

Makes 18 cookies

Welch’s recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment